ALITALIA CUSTOMER COMMITMENT
This section is intended to provide you with information regarding Alitalia procedures, policies and methods for handling certain aspects of your travel, including events not foreseen. Accomplishing the best Customer Service is for Alitalia a mission, that’s why we elaborated this document in 12 points known as Customer Commitment where you will find our responsabilities and the way we fulfill them. We remind you that Alitalia Customer Commitment applies to all domestic and international itineraries that originate in the USA.
ALITALIA CUSTOMER SERVICE PLAN
Alitalia intends to ensure that your air travel experience will encompass, to the best of our abilities, the most comprehensive customer service possible. We have outlined our responsibilities in this Customer Service Plan, which has been adopted in accordance with the requirements of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and applies to all flights that begin or end at a U.S. airport.
1. OFFERING THE LOWEST FARE AVAILABLE
We will offer on www.alitalia.com possible link to Search for hot deals, on our telephone reservation system, and at airport ticket counters, the lowest published fare for which you are eligible for the date, flight, and class of service requested, and will advise you if lower fares may be available elsewhere. Our representatives, upon request, will identify money-saving alternative itineraries if your travel schedule is flexible.
When you book your reservation through the Alitalia U.S. call center (800-223-5730) or at an Alitalia U.S. ticket counter, we will allow you to hold the quoted fare without payment for at least 24 hours if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure. When you purchase a ticket through Alitalia’s U.S. web site, we will allow you to cancel without penalty and receive a full refund within 24 hours after your purchase, if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure. Cancellations and refunds for qualifying web site purchases may be requested by calling 800-223-5730.
3. NOTIFYING CONSUMERS OF KNOWN DELAYS, CANCELLATIONS, AND DIVERSIONS
In the case of flights departing within seven days, we will, no more than 30 minutes of becoming aware of delays, cancellations and diversions, provide information about such flight irregularities as required under 14 C.F.R. § 259.8, by providing updates through:
- www.alitalia.com Flight Status and upon request via our U.S. telephone reservations system
- announcements at gate boarding areas and via flight status displays at U.S. airports
- subscription notification services (including e-mail), to the extent such services are offered by Alitalia and the passenger has registered to receive such updates
4. DELIVERING BAGGAGE ON TIME
It is our intention to deliver your baggage on time. However, in the event that this does not occur, we will make every reasonable effort to return your mishandled baggage within 24 hours. Notify an Alitalia employee at the airport if you cannot locate your baggage. To check on the progress of your bag search go to Baggage Tracking. We will attempt to contact owners of unclaimed baggage when a name and address or telephone number is available. Bags unclaimed after three days, and not later than five days, are sent to our headquarters in Rome, where continued efforts are made to locate bag owners. If your baggage has not been found within 3 days of your arrival, please contact Alitalia's Customer Relations Office as soon as possible via fax, 212-903-3568, or firstname.lastname@example.org. In the event that your baggage is delayed, we will compensate you for reasonable expenses as required by applicable international agreements. In the event that your baggage is lost, we will compensate you for the loss as required by international agreements and will reimburse you for any fees charged to transport such baggage.
5. PROVIDING PROMPT REFUNDS FOR TICKETS AND UNUSED OPTIONAL SERVICES
We will issue refunds for eligible international tickets within 7 business days for credit card purchases and 20 business days for purchases made by cash or check. We will also refund fees charged for optional services that you were unable to use due to an oversale situation or flight cancellation within these same time windows. For refund assistance:
- Requests for refunds may be submitted to any Alitalia ticketing location or your travel agent
- Refunds for electronic tickets may be requested by calling Reservations Sales at 800-223-5730
- For questions on how to apply for a refund or check status on a refund request, call 800-223-5730.
6. PROPERLY ACCOMMODATING PASSENGERS WITH DISABILITIES AND OTHER SPECIAL NEEDS
Accommodating passengers with disabilities and other special-needs passengers, particularly in the event of lengthy tarmac delay, is a top priority for Alitalia, and we have established a number of policies and procedures to provide such accommodations.
Passengers with Disabilities and Other Special Needs
- Transportation to, from, and between gates, either by wheelchair or, in several locations, electric cart
- Boarding assistance
- Assistance with visual, auditory, cognitive, or mobility impairments while in the airport and on the plane
- Consideration of your needs during extended tarmac delays
- Accommodation for certain medical requirements, such as use of an approved Portable Oxygen Concentrator, or dietary needs, with proper notice, by calling at 800-223-5730. Additional information may be found a Travelers Care.
We designate Complaint Resolution Officials (CROs) in all U.S. airports, where Alitalia's flights arrive or depart, who are responsible for ensuring services are properly implemented for our customers with disabilities.
Children Traveling Alone
- We provide detailed information to parents with children ages 5 through 14 who will be traveling alone at, Minors or by calling 800-223-5730
- Our policies ensure the safety and well being of children traveling alone, and include:
- Taking good care of your child during his or her flight and not releasing a minor traveling alone to anyone other than the person you have designated
- Providing unaccompanied passenger service for children ages 5 through 14. We are also happy to provide this service to children ages 15 through 17 traveling alone on some of our flight
- Please be advised that fees apply for unaccompanied minor service.
7. MEETING CUSTOMERS' ESSENTIAL NEEDS DURING LENGTHY TARMAC DELAYS
We will provide full and timely information regarding the status of a flight if there is a lengthy delay after you have boarded or after the plane has landed, and, if safety and security conditions allow, we will provide for your essential needs such as food, potable water, operable lavatory facilities, and access to medical treatment. For further information, see Alitalia's Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays.
8. HANDLING "BUMPED" PASSENGERS WITH FAIRNESS AND CONSISTENCY IN THE CASE OF OVERSALES
In the event that passengers are denied boarding involuntarily, we will follow DOT regulations and European Union regulation as well as our policies and procedures on oversales to ensure that you are treated with fairness and consistency, including:
- Notifying you of required check-in times through our reservations phone line, upon request, and on our website, at Check-in time limit
- Letting you know, upon your request, if your flight is overbooked through Reservations Sales or our airport Customer Service Representatives
- Soliciting volunteers to give up their seats before you are involuntarily denied boarding, by offering such volunteers a transportation credit, which can be used toward the purchase of another Alitalia ticket to the destination of the volunteer's choice
- Following our established boarding priorities in the event that more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available in order to determine which passengers will be denied boarding involuntary
- Providing you with a written explanation of denied boarding compensation and our boarding priorities in the event you are involuntarily denied boarding
- Rebooking you on the first available Alitalia flight to your ticketed destination if you are involuntarily denied boarding. (If an Alitalia flight is not available, we will strive to provide comparable accommodations on another airline that we have a ticketing agreement with)
- Providing meal allowances and hotel accommodations at Alitalia-contracted facilities if you are away from your home, are involuntarily bumped from a flight, and we are unable to accommodate you on an alternative flight on the same travel day.
9. DISCLOSING POLICIES AND OTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY AFFECT YOUR TRAVEL
We will disclose, on our website, policies and other information that may affect your travel, including:
- Providing frequent flyer details
- We will make all important rules, restrictions, and redemption information available on www.alitalia.com, in our dedicated section MilleMiglia
- Providing aircraft configuration
- We will provide aircraft configuration, including seats and lavatory availability, at alitalia.com
- Providing information concerning the important terms and conditions applicable to your travel. Our entire Tariffs and Contract of Carriage are available for your review on www.alitalia.com.
- Disclosing cancellation policies.
We will also, upon request, provide such information through our telephone reservations staff.
10. NOTIFICATIONS OF CHANGES TO TRAVEL ITINERARIES
We will do our best to contact you in advance, and in a timely manner, regarding a change to your itinerary that occurs at least seven days before your departure, using the telephone or email contact information contained in your reservation or by notifying you via a subscription notification service (including e-mail), to the extent such service is offered by Alitalia and you have registered to receive such updates
11. ENSURING RESPONSIVENESS TO CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS
We will acknowledge receipt of written customer complaints within 30 days of their receipt, and will send a substantive response within 60 days of receiving the complaint. For information about filing a complaint, go to Contact Us.
12. IDENTIFYING THE SERVICES ALITALIA PROVIDES TO MITIGATE PASSENGER INCONVENIENCES RESULTING FROM CANCELLATIONS AND MISCONNECTS
In order to mitigate inconveniences to you resulting from cancellations and misconnects, we will:
- Attempt to notify you, via contact information provided in your reservation or stored in your MilleMiglia Profile, about cancellations when the event is known at least three hours before departure
- In the case of rebooking, we will attempt to confirm you on the next flight we operate that has seats available in the same class of service.
For further information we invite you to visit www.alitalia.com, at Contact and Assistance.