FIND OUT ABOUT THE DOCUMENTS YOU'LL NEED AND OUR SERVICES FOR UNACCOMPANIED MINORS AND CHILDREN UP TO 15-YEARS OF AGE.
DOCUMENTS FOR MINORS
Make sure you have all the necessary documents required by Italian law and by the law of the country the child is traveling to.
When traveling in Italy, minors must also have their own identity document:
- If you have an Italian document, just show one of the identity documents specifically mentioned in DPR (Italian Presidential Decree) 445/2000 as well as all the documents needed for international travel
- If you have a document for another nationality, check on the website of the Italian Embassy or the Italian Consulate which documents are needed.
Children under the age of 14 may, as long as they are in possession of their own identification document, travel with persons who are neither their parents nor legal guardians, while children between the ages of 14 and 17 years of age may travel without an accompanying adult.
For international travel:
- Children with an Italian document must have one of the following documents:
- Identity Card valid for international travel , valid for travel within the EU or to a country with a bilateral agreement with Italy. Choose your destination to find out if a bilateral agreement is in place
- Individual passport : being included on the passport of a parent or legal guardian is no longer valid for travel
- Travel Permit, which can be used only for certain destinations and is a valid certificate or birth certificate extract with a photograph, issued by the Municipality of birth and validated by the local Questura
If the minor is less than 14 years old, in addition to a personal document (an ID card, passport or travel permit), he/she must be accompanied by an adult and certain other legal requirements must be met depending on who the minor is traveling with:
- Minor accompanied by parent/legal guardian - the name of the parent or legal guardian traveling with the minor must be on the travel document and a birth certificate or certificate of family status must also be carried so that the authorities can ascertain the identity of the child's parents
- Minor accompanied by an adult without any legal relationship to the minor - in addition to the minor's own identity document, a Dichiarazione di Accompagno (Declaration of Temporary Guardianship for Travel Abroad) signed by a parent or legal guardian and authenticated by the Questura must be provided. It must bear the name of the person, the entity or the transportation company to which the minor is entrusted*
If the minor is traveling as part of a school trip or study group, the name of the person in charge of the group or the name of the institute/entity that organized the trip must be mentioned on the Dichiarazione di Accompagno (Declaration of Temporary Guardianship for Travel Abroad).
- Minors with a document proving another nationality (not Italian) must check on the website of the embassy or consulate in the destination country.
Find out about the UNACCOMPANIED MINOR SERVICE
*Art. 20-ter of Law 166 dated November 20, 2009, which modifies Art. 14 of Law 1185 dated November 21, 1967
FROM 0 TO 12 YEARS
Celebrate with Alia your child's first flight.
In addition to special fares, we offer special services for our young passengers.
Find out everything you need to know about lounges, on-board bassinets, special meals, use of strollers and the possibility of booking a seat for children up to two years old.
If this is the first time your child has ever flown in an airplane, let us help you celebrate this event with a special "First Flight" certificate commemorating his/her first experience as an airplane passenger. Print the certificate, fill it out and give it to a Flight Attendant on board. The captain will be happy to sign it and make it "official".
SERVICES AND DISCOUNTS
In addition to special fares, our young passengers will get lots of other special attention:
- Sala Young, at Rome Fiumicino airport (Terminal 1, open daily from 05:30am - 12:00am) with TV and cartoons
- Bassinets1, on all intercontinental flights
- Special kids meals, to be requested when booking the ticket:
- Up to 2 years - baby food including lean meat, vegetables, fruit and dessert
- From 2 to 12 years old - complete meals including hamburgers, packaged sweets and sandwiches
Strollers for young travelers: remember to attach a luggage label to the stroller with your full name, address and telephone number. Strollers are sent free of charge to all destinations and for all travel classes when traveling with a child up to 11 years of age.
For Alitalia group flights arriving at and in transit through Italian airports2 served by the Company, you can request at check-in that the stroller be delivered for immediate use upon disembarking or at the gate (accessories such as covers, bags etc. must be removed).
You can book a seat for young travelers that includes the same weight, size and quantity of baggage allowed for an adult ticket, plus the stroller (the same conditions apply to children from 2 to 11 years of age).
Children (up to 13 years of age on domestic flights and up to 14 years on international flights) must travel with an adult who must be present in the same travel class (if the parent is of minority age, the child can travel accompanied by the parent provided that he/she has been given parental authority).
Children up to 2 years of age can travel in the lap of an accompanying adult3 or, if the child uses an approved child safety seat, a seat can be purchased for them.
If the child is traveling in an accompanying adult's lap, the adult is entitled to bring an additional bag of up to 10 kg. If the child occupies a seat, the baggage allowance will be the normal allowance for children from 2 to 11 years of age.
In any event, the presence of the child must be indicated when booking the ticket of the accompanying adult.
1. Some long-haul flights offer on-board bassinets, for children less than 76 cm long and weighing no more than 11 kg, which can be requested when booking. For operational reasons, this service might not be guaranteed on board, even if booked. In this case, the child must travel in the adult's lap.
2. Excludes Cagliari, Genoa and Trieste airports
3. Alitalia would like to inform you that children up to 2 years of age can also travel in an adult's lap in long-haul Business Class. However, in line with IATA recommendations (*) and to guarantee a safer and more comfortable trip, Alitalia suggests the use of an approved child safety seat (CRS — Child Restraint System) owned by the passenger.
(*) The IATA states that the safest way of transporting an infant or child on board an aircraft is to use a child restraint system (CRS).
The IATA therefore recommends the use of an approved restraint system (CRS) for travel and encourages airlines to promote their use on board.
If you wish to book a seat for your child, you can bring your child safety seat (CRS — Child Restraint System) on board, as long as:
- It fits in between the arm rests of the airplane seat (42 cm/16.5 in)
- You can install it on board yourself, in compliance with the manufacturer's instructions (forward or backward facing)
- It can be kept in place with the seat belt (child safety seats that are made up of two parts, need three attachment points or are kept in place with a metal bar may not be used)
- It is not defective and bears a visible EU seal of approval or a seal of approval from another recognized official authority
You can book a seat for your child only on some flights and up to 48 hours before the flight departure time by contacting Special Assistance.
Approved seals of approval include:
- UN ECE Standard R44-03 and 44-04
- United States labeling US FMVSS no. 213*
- Canadian labeling CMVSS 213/213.1
- German labeling TUV/958-01/2001
- Seats approved for use in cars and tested in accordance with standards equivalent to those listed above by the Canadian transport authorities, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Joint Civil Aviation Authority (JAA)
For passengers under 14 years of age (on domestic flights) and under 15 years of age (on international flights) traveling alone or accompanied by another minor or by an adult in a different seating class, we provide a special "Unaccompanied Minor" service
Underage passengers traveling alone who are over the age for using the mandatory Unaccompanied Minor service can request the new "Voluntary Unaccompanied Minor" service
Furthermore, only at Fiumicino airport, the young travellers will be welcomed in the Alia Lounge, a colorful area, with toys available to the kids.
Alia Lounge is located at Terminal 1, departures side. The area is 180 sqm, where they will find cuddles, fun and dedicated staff who will take them on board for a new adventure.
"UNACCOMPANIED MINOR" SERVICE
For passengers under 14 years of age for domestic destinations and under 15 years of age for international destinations traveling without an accompanying adult or with an accompanying adult in a different travel class (Business/Premium Economy/Economy), there is an "Unaccompanied minor" service.
To book a flight, have a ticket issued and book the service at the same time, call Special Assistance or use a travel agent, indicating the address and telephone number of the person accompanying the minor to the departure airport and the person who will pick him/her up at the arrival airport. Should there be connecting flights, the minor cannot be booked onto the last flight of the day to his/her destination from a stopover airport, unless that flight is the only flight departing that day. The person accompanying the minor to the airport must remain at the airport until the flight boarded by the unaccompanied minor is airborne.
Upon check-in, show:
- A photocopy of the identity document of the person accompanying the minor to the airport
- A valid travel document for the minor
- The Unaccompanied minor "AFFIDAVIT" form completed in full and, in the case of minors under 14 years of age on international flights
- For minors with a document proving their Italian nationality, a Dichiarazione di Accompagno (Declaration of Temporary Guardianship for Travel Abroad) is needed. This should be signed by the parents or by the legal guardian and authenticated by the Questura and include the name of the airline to which the minor is entrusted. The form is only available in Italian.
- For minors with a document proving another nationality (not Italian), it is necessary to check on the website of the embassy or consulate in the destination country.
FIND OUT MORE about the additional "Unaccompanied minor" charges.
"VOLUNTARY UNACCOMPANIED MINOR" SERVICE
Underage passengers traveling alone who are over the age for using the mandatory Unaccompanied Minor service can request the new "Voluntary Unaccompanied Minor" service. This service offers accompaniment during travel for children between the ages of:
- 14 - 17 for domestic air travel
- 15 - 17 for all air travel
Book the "Voluntary Unaccompanied Minor" service by calling Special Assistance. The service charges and airport and in-flight assistance are the same as those applied to mandatory Unaccompanied Minors. The service can be purchased for all flights operated by the Alitalia Group (XM, VE, CT) and the fee must be paid after the reservation for the entire itinerary has been confirmed. The service will also be guaranteed for connecting flights, even if, should a connection have been missed, Alitalia has to board the minor on a flight different from the one originally booked. The "Voluntary Unaccompanied Minor" service is not refundable.
- The additional charge is the same for direct and connecting flights (with stopovers).
- There is no discount for siblings traveling together.
- This supplement may be combined with fare discounts depending on the destination, age and booking class.
- The Unaccompanied minors service cannot be booked online, but only by contacting the Call Center.
For full details, please contact Special Assistance.