LET'S GET YOU UPGRADED
The sale of this service will only be available for flights until 14 October 2021
Already bought your ticket for Economy Class and would like to enjoy the advantages of Premium Economy or Business Class? Today you can with Get an Upgrade. A truly special promotion!
Make us an offer for the higher class in which you wish to travel, enter your payment method and, if your offer is accepted, you can enjoy a unique experience at your chosen price.
The higher the amount you offer, the more chance you have of experiencing a trip in your chosen class.
- The available seats for this offer are limited and can vary depending on the destination and flight situation, as well as according to the participation criteria detailed below in the FAQ and Terms and Conditions.To find out if you are eligible for this offer, click here.
- Make your offer and enter the price you would like to pay.
- Enter your credit card details, check your offer again and submit.
- You will receive a confirmation email.
- You can edit or delete the offer until it is accepted by Alitalia; this will happen between 72 and 24 hours before departure.
- If your offer is accepted, the amount you indicated will be debited from your credit card. The ticket already in your possession will remain valid and, when you check-in, you will receive a new boarding pass for Premium Economy Class or Business Class.
Who has the right to "Get an Upgrade"?
All passengers with an Alitalia ticket that starts with the number 055 and that does not fall into these categories:
- Tickets issued for domestic flights
- Bookings with certain special assistance requests (i.e. wheelchairs); Passengers can call the Customer Center at 1-800-223-5730 to for help with their upgrade request
- Tickets with an infant on the booking
- Tickets with group bookings
- Tickets with pets in the cabin
- MilleMiglia award tickets
- Staff tickets (duty or leisure).
In addition, Alitalia will also, from time to time, establish, according to various criteria, ticket categories purchased for Economy class (e.g. based on class of fare purchased) that are eligible for this offer.
You can confirm your eligibility by accessing the page for requesting offers.
The available seats for this offer are limited and can vary depending on the destination and flight situation.
Alitalia may send an email to some passengers inviting them to participate in "Get an Upgrade". Who will receive this invitation?
Alitalia passengers who may receive an email inviting them to participate in "Get an Upgrade" are those who have:
- Booked the flight at least 10 days before departure
- Provided an email address at the time of booking
Can I use "Get an Upgrade" on Alitalia flights that are operated by partner airlines?
"Get an Upgrade" is only available on flights operated by Alitalia.
I am traveling with my son, who is not yet 14; I made an offer for both of us, but I only got one upgrade. What happens now?
If you are traveling with a child of 3 to 13 years of age (with two separate bookings) and only one of you has had an upgrade confirmed, the accepted offer will be refunded because you cannot travel in different classes (one in Business and the other in Economy). Otherwise, you may wish take advantage of the unaccompanied minor service for the child, by paying the appropriate supplement. You can book this service via the Alitalia Contact Center.
What are the advantages of upgrading to Premium Economy Class on long-haul flights?
- Ergonomic leather seats that recline to about 120° and up to 40% more leg room compared with Economy Class
- 10.6-inch LCD monitor with noise cancellation headphones and a wide choice of movies on demand
- Welcome drink and hot meals, snacks or breakfast, all in the best Italian regional tradition, depending on the time of the flight
- Italian espresso coffee and after-dinner drink (Limoncello available)
- Wines selected in conjunction with the Italian Sommelier Foundation
- Separate quiet cabin
- Priority check-in desks
What are the advantages of upgrading to Business Class on long-haul flights?
- Leather seats that recline up to 180° with massage function, and direct access to the aisle from every seat
- Priority baggage claim
- 15.4-inch LCD monitor with noise cancellation headphones and a wide choice of movies on demand with the option of up to 10 languages
- National and international newspapers, magazines and periodicals
- Regional culinary dishes made with DOP and IGP traditional Italian products and the best Italian wines selected in conjunction with the Italian Sommelier Foundation
- Priority check-in desks and priority lanes at security checkpoints
- Priority boarding and disembarking
What are the advantages of upgrading to Business Class on medium-haul flights?
- Ergonomic leather Recaro seats and middle seat free
- Priority check-in desks and baggage claim
- Priority boarding and priority lanes at security checkpoints
- Hot towel and welcome drink on flights over three hours
- Menus inspired by Italian tradition which vary according to the length of flight, with a wide choice of drinks, soft drinks and wines selected in collaboration with the Italian Sommelier Foundation
Will I earn MilleMiglia miles with "Get an Upgrade"?
No, you won't earn extra miles. You will earn the usual miles on the original ticket that you purchased.
What happens if my offer is accepted?
If your offer has been successful, the amount offered will be charged to your credit card. We will send you a confirmation email to the email address you provided at the time of booking or during the offer process.
When will I be told that my offer has been accepted?
Accepted offers will be selected by Alitalia between 72 and 8 hours before the flight departure; you will be informed of the outcome via email (sent to the email address you provided).
What happens if my offer is not accepted?
We will inform you via email (sent to the email address you provided). The booking for the original flight will not be changed.
When I try to enter my booking number and my last name, I get an error message; what should I do in this case?
Check the booking code and last name and then try again. Your booking code is six characters long.
Will you send me a confirmation text message if my offer is accepted?
No, you will only receive a confirmation email from Alitalia, but you may receive a notification by text from your bank about a charge on your credit card.
Can I change the offer I submitted at a later stage?
You can edit or delete the offer until it is accepted by Alitalia; this will happen between 72 and 24 hours before the flight departure.
What happens if I want to change my flight after having submitted an offer for an upgrade?
If you want to cancel a flight after Alitalia has accepted the offer, you will not be refunded for the amount relating to your offer. In addition, the Conditions of Carriage for the original ticket also apply.
If you want to cancel a flight before Alitalia has accepted your offer, the upgrade offer will no longer be valid. If you wish, you can make a new offer for the new flight booked, if this is possible. The previous offer cannot be transferred automatically to the new flight.
I canceled my original offer and now I would like to make another offer. How do I do that?
After you have canceled your initial offer, you can submit a new offer using the links in the original email sent to you inviting you to make an upgrade offer. Alternatively, go to the Alitalia website.
What happens if my offer is not successful?
You will receive an email notifying you that your offer was not successful. Your credit card will not be charged and you can travel with the ticket that you already have.
Can I make a new offer after receiving the email informing me that my offer has not been successful?
No, you will no longer be able to make other offers for the same flight.
Can I choose my seat when I upgrade?
No, you cannot select your seat when you send your upgrade offer. If your offer is accepted, you can only choose your seat during check-in.
I made a booking for a group of five people under the same booking number. It is possible to upgrade just for two of the passengers?
No. If you made the booking with Alitalia, you can contact our Contact Center and ask the operator to split the booking. If you made the booking through a travel agency, you can ask your travel agent to split the booking. Please note: You can only submit an offer up to 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the flight.
Which documents do I need to show at the airport?
The ticket issued with the new booking class and the document about the upgrade purchase that you will be sent via email, or the boarding pass issued following web check-in.
Can I choose any amount for my upgrade offer?
No. The system has a predefined minimum and maximum amount for the offer. You cannot make an offer below the minimum amount or above the maximum amount.
On the offer page, what does the intensity indicator show?
The intensity indicator is a guide that shows the strength of your offer, but it does not guarantee success.
Can I make offers with different amounts for an upgrade on each segment of my flight?
Yes, you can offer different amounts for each segment of your journey, if eligible for the upgrade.
Can I change my offer by entering a higher or lower amount?
Yes, you can change the amount until it is accepted by Alitalia. To change your offer, use the link found in the upgrade offer email or go to the Alitalia website.
What Conditions of Carriage apply to the upgrade ticket?
The same conditions apply as for the ticket originally purchased, including costs for changes or cancellations. Original baggage allowance remains the same; excess baggage fees apply.
If I have already submitted an offer and I want to use a different card, how can I change my card details?
You must first cancel your current offer. After this you can make a new offer using your preferred card. If there is a problem with the credit card used for the offer selected for the upgrade, you will receive notification by email with a link where you can enter your new card details.
Will the amount of my offer be refunded if the flight for which I made the upgrade is canceled?
If a flight is canceled by Alitalia, we will try to accommodate you in the higher travel class on the next flight; otherwise, the refund for the entire amount of the upgrade will be credited to the card used for the purchase.
My offer has been successful, but I would like to cancel my ticket for that flight segment. Will I be refunded for the amount that I offered for the upgrade?
In the event of cancellation or changes to the ticket, you will not be refunded any amount for the upgrade purchased.
1. The following terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") shall apply to the offer(s) ("Offer") made by the guest who has purchased for himself/herself and/or third parties, in a single booking, one or more Alitalia ticket(s) (055) for one or more international and intercontinental flights, which is/are not included in the exclusion cases referred to in Art. 10 ("Guest"), in relation to the possibility of purchasing one or more upgrades from the travel class originally purchased to a superior class ("Upgrade").
2. In order to be eligible for the "Get an Upgrade" initiative, the Guest must be at least 18 years old and have legal capacity.
3. Offers must always be made for all passengers present on the booking, according to these Terms and Conditions, and paid for using a credit card.
4. The Guest can access "Get an Upgrade" through the Alitalia website or via the email received at the email address provided when booking the air ticket.
5. Offers can be made from the moment the ticket is purchased.
6. The Guest can edit or delete the Offer until it is accepted by Alitalia; this will happen between 72 and 24 hours before departure. If the Offer is canceled, it will no longer be considered a Valid Offer.
7. Alitalia will evaluate the offer according to the size and the commercial objective criteria, as well as the availability of places available as part of the initiative.
8. Alitalia will inform the Guest by email if the upgrade request has been accepted.
9. Guest who have the following tickets cannot take part in the "Get an Upgrade" initiative:
- Tickets issued for domestic flights
- Bookings with certain special assistance requests (i.e. wheelchairs); Passengers with special assistance requests can call the Customer Center at 1-800-223-5730 to for help with their upgrade request
- Bookings that include an infant ticket
- Tickets with group bookings
- Tickets with pets in the cabin
- MilleMiglia award tickets
- Staff tickets (duty or leisure)
10. In the event that Alitalia accepts the Offer, the entire amount will be debited from the credit card of the Guest who made the Offer upon acceptance.
11. Alitalia will issue a new ticket, amended to show the new upgraded class of the accepted offer, and a further document concerning the upgrade purchase certification for every Guest included on the original flight booking. The total amount debited will include all taxes and supplements, where applicable due to the Upgrade.
12. The amount on the credit card will appear under the name of "Alitalia Upgrade".
13. Once the Offer has been accepted by Alitalia and the amount has been debited from the Guest's credit card, no refunds or changes can be made, except in the following cases:
- In the event of disruption caused by the company (e.g. flight cancellation or aircraft changes), Alitalia will board the Guest on the first available flight in the new upgraded class. In the event that the new upgraded class is unavailable, the Guest will be reimbursed on the same card used to pay for the Upgrade.
- If the Guest misses the flight following the delay or cancellation of a connecting flight operated by Alitalia or by a Partner Company.
- In the event that the Offer was accepted and the credit card was debited with the relevant amount, but the Guest did not receive the Upgrade. For the request for a refund to be accepted, it must include the boarding pass for the flight in question. If the original boarding pass is not submitted, Alitalia will not be required to refund the amount paid for the Upgrade.
- Of close relatives: spouse, children including adopted children, parents, brothers/sisters, grandparents, grandchildren, parents-in-law, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, and sons-inlaw and daughters-in-law; in this case, proof of the relationship must be provided with the appropriate certificate (certificate of family status or other certificate issued by a local council or registry office)
- Of passengers who are relatives or friends on the same PNR
- Not flying due to illness or death must be proved by a valid hospital certificate or death certificate
- Any refund requests should be sent to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The service is non-refundable in the event of voluntary waiver
14. The tariff conditions of the original ticket purchased will remain valid and will also apply if Your Offer is accepted and you are consequently upgraded, including but not limited to cancellation policies, charges for modifications, baggage allowance and the rules relating to the accumulation of frequent flyer miles.
15. In the event that the ticket is modified by the Guest, Alitalia will not be required to assign the seat in the travel class for which the upgrade is requested.
16. Alitalia reserves the right to modify these Terms and Conditions at its own discretion.
Pursuant to Italian Legislative Decree No. 196/03 – Personal data protection code – Alitalia declares that the personal data recorded at the end of this offer, as stated in the published terms and conditions, shall be processed, electronically, exclusively to fulfil the contractual obligations arising from the offer.
Alitalia will use the company Plusgrade with headquarters at:
1801 McGill College Avenue
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2N4
Processing will be carried out in full compliance with EU Directive/95/46/EC.